Archaiological site, Museum and village of Olympia
The ancient city of Olympia lies in the valley between Kladeos and Alfeios rivers, around 38km away from Katakolo. It was the most important religious and athletic place of ancient greece, despite its remote location, and it is the place where the ancient Olympic games were held every 4 years.
Next to the archaiological site is the modern town of Olympia with its pedestrian road, caffes, traditional tavernas and souvenir shops.
Upon the entry to the archaiological site the most important archaic and classical landmarks are the Temple of Zeus, the Stadium and the Vouleutirio. There are some buildings that were added in the hellenistic period such as the Gymnasium and the Palaistra.
The last Olympic games were held at 393 A.D and afterwards were forbidden by the Byzantine Emperor Theodosius the first.
The first archaiological digging in the site started in 1829 and was made by the french archaiological mission under the supervision of general N.J Maison.
A most systematic excavation happened with the german archaiological mission and its going on untill today.
All the foundings that were not moved to the Louvre by the french are located to the newly renovated Museum complex and its 12 halls.
One of the most famous sculptures of ancient times that has ever been found, Hermes of Praxiteles, is maybe the most famous attraction.
Significant collections of the museum are the Copper objects, which incudes a variety of weapons, the Scultpures collection and the pottery collection.